The Google Maps extension allows creating and customizing Google maps for inclusion across your netAdventist website, editing a map pointer and description box and provides the option of directions for the end user. An API key can be obtained for all Google features but requires a credit card number. Your card will only be used if you exceed their maximum limit of visitors to your site. If you do not wish to give a credit card number to Google, there is another option. You can add an iFrame to your page. See Option II below for how to create an iFrame embedded map location. We recommend the iFrame option for a free, high-quality Google map.
The new training video hasn’t been created yet for this feature
- If you haven't already done so, Log in and go to the Dashboard. You are taken to the Site Content tab.
- If the Google Maps extension hasn’t been activated, select the Settings tab at the top of the page, then Extensions and Activate next to Google Maps.
- From Settings, choose Google Features from the left navigation bar.
- Scroll down for instructions about Google APIs. At the bottom, paste the Google API Key and select Save. In this example, we will advance without the Google API Key. But note that this map will always say: “For development purposes only”.
- Select the Site Content tab in the upper left, then Google Maps in the left navigation bar. Select the button on the right side Add a new Google Map. Fill in the Title and an address or coordinates. Zoom in and drag the pointer to the location. Enter the Custom Bubble Text you want to appear. Then select Save.
- Your new Google Map now appears in the list of the Google Maps index page. You can choose a new location by selecting the Add a new Google Map button again.
- Select Home (or a Content Page) in the left navigation bar. Select Edit.
- To insert a map, place your cursor in the location you wish to put the map and select the Google Map Chooser icon on the bottom row of tools in the Editor. A dialog box will open. Check the correct box for the map you wish to display and press the Insert button.The dialog box will disappear revealing the map placed on the page. Select the Save button to finish.
- Select the Preview button to see your new map on the page. Note: If you didn’t get a Google API key, you will receive a message: “This page can't load Google Maps correctly” and you will have to select OK.
- Google maps can also be added to menus. See the Main Menu training video if you need further instructions.
- Open a browser window and go to https://www.google.com/maps/
- Enter a physical address in the field Search Google Maps and click Search.
- Once the map is loaded in the browser window click on the three bar icon to the left of the address search field at the top. This opens a Google Maps settings bar.
- Look in the third section of Google Maps settings bar and select Share or embed map. This will open a popup window. Select the second tab Embed a map.
- There will be a very long link to copy. Select the COPY HTML link. The link you just copied is in raw HTML.
- Return to the dashboard of your netAdventist website and select Edit on the page where you want to add the map. Scroll down and select the Edit as raw HTML button at the bottom of the editor. Paste the HTML you copied where you want it to appear. Select Save.
- Select View Site to view the map you added to your site.
- Return to Edit the page where you added a map. Switch the editor back to Edit with graphical editor.