The Google Maps extension allows creating and customizing Google maps for inclusion across your website, editing a map pointer and description box and provides the option of directions for the end user. Google recently changed how people use their products and where you get an API key for each feature, including Google Maps. Now you only need to get one API key for all features. The new API key requires a credit card number to obtain it. Your card will only be used if you exceed their maximum limit of visitors to your site. If you already have an API Key you will need to get a new one. If you do not wish to give a credit card number to Google there is another option, adding an iFrame to a content page. See Option II below for the iFrame embedded map location.
The new training video hasn’t been created yet for this feature.
- Option I. Sign in to your netAdventist website.
- Select the Dashboard link at the bottom of the homepage. You will be taken to the Site Content page.
- If the Google Maps in Extensions hasn’t been activated, select the Settings tab at the top of the page, then Extensions and Activate Google maps.
- From Settings choose Google Features from the left navigation bar.
- Scroll down for instructions about Google APIs. Fill in the information and click Save.
- Select the Site Content tab in the upper left, then Google Maps in the left navigation bar. Select the button on the right side Add a new Google Map. Fill in the information and click Save. You can choose a new location by selecting the Add a new Google Map button again.
- Go to Content Pages (or Home) in the left navigation bar. Select Edit next to a content page in the index.
- To insert a map place your cursor in the location you wish to put the map and select the Google Map Chooser icon on the top row of tools in the Editor. A dialog box will open. Check the correct box for the map you wish to display and press the Insert button.The dialog box will disappear revealing the map placed on the page. Select Save to finish.
- Select the Preview link to see what your new map looks like on the page. Google maps can also be added to menus. See the Main Menu training video if you need further instructions.
- Option II. Open a browser window and go to https://www.google.com/maps/
- Enter a physical address in the field Search Google Maps and click Directions.
- Once the map is loaded in the browser window click on the three bar icon to the left of the address search field at the top. This opens a Google Maps settings bar.
- Look in the third section of Google Maps settings bar and select Share or Embed maps. This will open a popup window. Select the second tab Embed a Map.
- There will be a very long link to copy, select the COPY HTML link.
- The link you just copied is in raw HTML and you will have to enter it in the editor of your home page or a content page by selecting the Edit as raw HTML at the bottom of the editor. Paste the HTML you copied where you want it to appear. Select Save. Note: When in the dashboard, you will not see the actual map, only a yellow box. This is normal.
- Select View Site to view the map you added to your site.